Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Jewelry Armoire Re-Do & Paint (Craigslist find!)

Well, one more project completed. This is pretty much my first furniture re-do!

I was browsing the Craigslist free ads one day and saw a "FREE JEWELRY BOX" ad in MY town for once! I texted right away and it was mine. 

I pulled up after work in my little Volvo car and SOMEHOW, by an act of God, got that sucker wedged in the passenger side. Let's just say my 3 year old had to sit with one of his legs folded under him in the back seat. What a trooper. (I want a truck!)

Before:


The lady had called it a jewelry box. But the correct term is a 4 foot tall jewelry armoire. The doors looked like they'd been stained... And there was hardware that had been attempted to be put on the doors and on the inside. She had said she "just wanted it out" and didn't finish it. A project that had been sitting there for a while. Do you see that gross red stain gooey crap on the inside?

So I painted it an off-white. I didn't use primer. I now know the importance of primer.
I then decided to leave those top doors off. I finished by painting stripes on the back of it - the color is a tan/green but is more of a green. I love it. It's on my bedroom walls so it matches nicely. :)

After:



Light distressing, of course.



All in all, I'm proud. It works well in my room. And I needed a place to hang my necklaces!
Tangled necklaces are the worst when trying to get out of the house on time!

Thanks for reading!
Alicia



Linking to:



Furniture Feature Fridays


5 comments:

  1. i loove that! the stripes are perfect and subtle! very nicely done! welcome to the blog world and thanks so much for linking to my party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a difference :)

    Jen
    www.dishesandsocks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked a lovely shade of paint, and the light distressing really added to it. What a great find, especially close to home with these ridiculous gas prices. I can see a piece like that being useful in so many spots in a home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so creative, Alicia! I can't wait to see more ideas from you!! :)

    ReplyDelete